The A/C Needs Maintenance Before Cooling Season Is Upon Us
It’ll soon be hot in Houston, and your A/C needs maintenance to ensure a comfortable summer at the lowest possible cost. Preventive maintenance will go a long way toward improving the efficiency of your air conditioner, lowering your utility bills, preventing common (but costly) problems and extending the operating life of your system.
A spring A/C tune-up is a small investment with big payoff, but it’s essential to hire a reputable contractor with knowledgable technicians who undergo regular training to keep up with changing technologies and new techniques. Your skilled technician will perform a comprehensive inspection and tune-up of your system that includes several essential tasks.
Tasks a Pro Performs When an A/C Needs Maintenance
- Lubricate the motor, fan and other moving components to help prevent friction.
- Measure the airflow to ensure it meets system specifications.
- Measure the refrigerant level, and check for leaks if it’s low.
- Remove dust from essential components and inspect them for damage and wear.
- Inspect the terminals and wiring for corrosion and loose connections.
- Test your thermostat for accuracy.
- Test the system controls to ensure proper cycling.
- Inspect and, if necessary, clean your evaporator and condenser coils for optimum heat exchange.
- Inspect your ducts for obstructions and costly air leaks.
- Flush the condensate drain to prevent clogs that can shut down your system.
While your A/C needs maintenance every year to operate at top efficiency, there are three critical tasks you should perform yourself every month during the cooling season to keep things running smoothly and efficiently:
- Inspect your air filter. When you can’t see the filter material behind the dust, it’s time for a new filter, which will protect your system’s interior against damaging dust buildup and improve your indoor air quality.
- Spray your outdoor unit with a hose to remove debris from the slotted openings, which can restrict optimum airflow and heat exchange.
- Remove dust from around your indoor unit to help prevent condensate drain clogs and dust buildup inside the system.
If your A/C needs maintenance, our highly skilled technicians are up for the job! Please feel free to contact us in the Houston area at Davis Air Conditioning & Heating.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com
You May Also Like
4 HVAC Maintenance Tips for Pet Owners in Katy, TX
Millions of people in the United States live with at least one furry friend. Dogs and cats provide companionship, love and a… Continue Reading 4 HVAC Maintenance Tips for Pet Owners in Katy, TX…
What to Know When It’s Time to Buy a New HVAC System
Frequent repairs, poor performance, sky-high utility bills — heating and cooling systems have a way of letting you know when it’s time… Continue Reading What to Know When It’s Time to Buy a New HVAC System…
Is Your Heat Pump Crying Out for Help in Spring, TX?
It’s vital during the winter to monitor your heat pump for any strange sounds. These systems typically make louder swooshing noises during… Continue Reading Is Your Heat Pump Crying Out for Help in Spring, TX?…