Simple Tips to Reduce Summertime Cooling Costs
Another hot Houston summer is nearly here, which brings with it the need to look for ways to keep your home cool at the lowest possible cost. Here are some easy-to-use tips to reduce cooling costs while keeping your indoor living spaces comfortable no matter how hot it gets outside.
How to Reduce Cooling Costs and Stay Comfy
- Reduce heat gain- Use drapes and blinds to keep sunlight out of your home and prevent the increase in heat that sunlight causes.
- Install a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats give you more efficient control over the operation of your air conditioner or heat pump. You can use these devices to automatically reduce cooling system operation when it’s not needed, such as when you’re away for several hours at a time. They can also be programmed to turn the A/C up in time to ensure you return to a cool, comfortable living space.
- Add or increase insulation – Insulation in your walls, ceilings, floors, attic and basement can help keep outdoor heat from getting into your home. Increase insulation levels in walls, especially those that make direct contact with the outdoor environment. Make sure the attic is well insulated; uninsulated attics can get extremely hot, and this heat radiates downward into your home.
- Find and seal air leaks – Locate holes, cracks, gaps and openings where cool air can escape and warm air can get in. Make sure these are sealed with caulking or another appropriate material to stop the air loss.
- Check the ductwork – Pay particular attention to the ductwork of your home. Air leaks in the ducts can account for significant amounts of wasted energy and increases in cooling bills. Duct sections should fit together snugly and connections should be sealed with mastic.
Learn more about hot to reduce cooling costs in the summer, as well as Air Experts’s cooling solutions, or call 888-710-5530 in the Greater Houston area or 888-929-0049 in Brazoria County.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com
You May Also Like
Fall is here and temperatures are dropping in Sugarland, TX. Colder outside temperature means more cuddle time with your furry friends, but… Continue Reading Tips for Pet Owners to Maintain High IAQ in Sugarland, TX…
Heat pumps are arguably some of the most valuable inventions in the HVAC industry. These appliances have gained popularity due to their… Continue Reading 4 Benefits of Heat Pumps in Clute, TX…
Everyone wants to get the most out of their HVAC system. When considering the factors that affect HVAC system efficiency, most think… Continue Reading How Your HVAC Filters Affect Your System’s Efficiency in Houston, TX…