Over time, the role of filtration in a central HVAC system has expanded to address the rising problem of indoor air quality. A modern filter is capable of capturing particles less than one micron in size, which is smaller than a red blood cell.
The Importance Your Filter’s MERV Value
The Minimum Efficiency Rating Value (MERV) was designed to provide consumers with an easy way to compare the effectiveness of different styles and models of filtration products. The MERV rating system calculates the ability of the filter to capture contaminants of a specific size and quantity. Most HVAC contractors recommend installing one with a minimum rating of MERV 7, especially if you have family members who suffer from allergies or other respiratory problems.
Finding the Right Filter Style
When selecting an air conditioning filter , you’ll find there are many different options. High MERV value are more expensive, but they’ll improve the quality of the air inside your home and keep your HVAC equipment clean and operating efficiently. It’s important not to exceed the recommended MERV value for your HVAC system.
- Fiberglass filters: Basic filtration for removing visible particulate matter.
- Pleated filters: Pleated filters have more surface area for higher capacity.
- Electrostatic filters: These models incorporate different materials that attach an electrical charge to the contaminants as the air travels through the filter.
- Media filters: Media filters are available in a variety of thicknesses, and they are housed in dedicated cabinets. Media filters provide the highest level of filtration currently available.
- Electronic air cleaners: Theses devices use electric current to create a charge that attaches itself to particulate matter. Electronic air cleaners are up to 95 percent efficient.
Your HVAC Experts
If you have a tough time remembering to change your filter, call one of our friendly representatives at 888-710-5530 to arrange for an AC tuneup. One our technicians will inspect your system and replace the filter if necessary.