Cleaner A/C Coils Make for a System With Longer Life
The cooling season in Houston is long and hot, and preparing your air conditioner for the summer heat ahead is a must if you want to avoid common air conditioning problems that result in inconvenience and expensive repairs. Annual preventive maintenance will go a long way toward lower cooling bills, extending the life of your system and preventing midsummer breakdowns. This year, ask your qualified HVAC technician about coil cleaning to give your air conditioner a boost of efficiency and prevent problems related to dirty A/C coils.
About those A/C coils
Your air conditioner has two coils that work together to help cool your home. The evaporator coil located in your indoor unit is responsible for absorbing the heat from the air in your home. The condenser coil located in your outdoor unit transfers the heat outside. Dirt and grime can build up on your coils over time, hampering the exchange of heat and making your air conditioner work harder while reducing your comfort level.
Cleaning the coils
Your HVAC technician will use one of three methods for cleaning your coils, depending on how heavily soiled they are.
- Dusty coils can be blown clean with low-pressure compressed air.
- Dirty coils are scrubbed with a solution of water and mild detergent.
- Heavily-soiled coils require a special foaming coil-cleaning solution that’s sprayed on, allowed to sit for a period of time and rinsed off. For particularly dirty coils, several applications may be required. Due to the dangerous nature of some of these chemicals, opt for biodegradable cleaners whenever possible.
Preventing dirty coils
Once your coils are clean, you can help prevent further buildup by performing these monthly tasks throughout the summer:
- Vacuum around your indoor unit regularly to remove dust.
- Hose down your outdoor unit to remove debris caught in the fins.
- Check your air filter and replace it when you can’t see through it.
For more expert advice about the importance of clean A/C coils, please feel free to contact us at Davis Air Conditioning & Heating, Inc. We’ve proudly served the Houston area since 1971.
You May Also Like
Originally published Dec. 16, 2018, updated Jan. 11, 2022 With winter in full force, it’s important to keep these HVAC issues in… Continue Reading 4 Common HVAC Problems You Might Face This Winter…
Your older home in Katy, TX, has a lot of admirable character and history. However, it can be challenging to heat and… Continue Reading Watch for These 7 HVAC Problems In An Older Home in Katy, TX…
You rely on your HVAC system to keep you comfortable in College Station, TX, no matter what time of year it is.… Continue Reading Are You Damaging Your Own Indoor Air Quality in College Station, TX?…