How Setting the A/C Before Vacation Can Help Your Peace of Mind, and Other Tips
Packing the car and getting the kids ready? It’s that time of year again: summer vacation. This year will be even more enjoyable if you make preparations for your home in advance of your departure. Setting the A/C and checking for any leaks or potential problems will leave you confident that you won’t return to an appliance crisis.
Here are six tips to consider before leaving for your family vacation:
- Run the A/C while you’re away: Home safety is always a concern while you’re away on vacation. Setting the A/C to run while you’re away gives the appearance that someone is home, and can be a home-invasion deterrent.
- Set the A/C for comfort: When you head out on vacation, but leave your pets and plants behind, you may worry about their well-being. Make sure you are setting the A/C to a comfortable temperature while you’re gone. If you’re going to be gone long, consider having a friend or family member drop by and sit or check on the pets regularly.
- Leave the HVAC number with the house sitter: Before heading out, consider having your home comfort system inspected for any potential A/C problems. Then, make sure to leave your HVAC technician’s number with the house sitter in the event of an emergency.
- Unplug energy vampires: While setting certain appliances, such as lights or televisions, on timers while you’re away can help deter burglars, other appliances should be powered down while you are away. Save yourself money by unplugging appliances such as toasters, microwaves, iPod docking stations and computers.
- Replace dirty air filters: Check the air filters in your home. A dirty air filter can lead to additional strain on your air conditioner system. Routine filter maintenance is a very affordable way to extend the life of your home comfort system.
- Inspect all major appliances: Make sure that you inspect the hot water heater, fridge, washer and dryer. Check all hoses and possible lines that could leak or cause damage to your home.
For more tips on home comfort, contact Davis Air Conditioning & Heating, a family owned and operated company since 1971. We serve the greater Houston area.
You May Also Like
4 HVAC Maintenance Tips for Pet Owners in Katy, TX
Millions of people in the United States live with at least one furry friend. Dogs and cats provide companionship, love and a… Continue Reading 4 HVAC Maintenance Tips for Pet Owners in Katy, TX…
What to Know When It’s Time to Buy a New HVAC System
Frequent repairs, poor performance, sky-high utility bills — heating and cooling systems have a way of letting you know when it’s time… Continue Reading What to Know When It’s Time to Buy a New HVAC System…
Is Your Heat Pump Crying Out for Help in Spring, TX?
It’s vital during the winter to monitor your heat pump for any strange sounds. These systems typically make louder swooshing noises during… Continue Reading Is Your Heat Pump Crying Out for Help in Spring, TX?…