The ductwork in your home cooling and heating system is the air distribution network that sends conditioned air throughout your home. Because this system of pipes is so large and can sit idle between seasons, it can accumulate dust, mold and other material that can be dislodged and blown past the HVAC air filter and out into your home. To prevent problems that can result, a regular professional duct cleaning could be included as part of your seasonal preventive maintenance. Here’s a brief summary of why and how to clean A/C ducts.
Material that leaves dirty ductwork and ends up inside your home can significantly reduce indoor air quality. This can trigger allergies or asthma attacks and make the air in your home stale, dusty and unpleasant to breathe.
Three specific conditions should trigger the need for a duct cleaning, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA):
- Mold can be seen on the inside of the ductwork or on HVAC system components.
- Ducts are serving as homes to pests and vermin, including insects, rodents, or other small animals that leave nests, fur or droppings.
- Ducts are completely or partially blocked by accumulated debris.
Duct cleaning is a process designed to remove debris and blockages by scrubbing your A/C ductwork system from end to end. A professional duct cleaner can also use this as an opportunity to inspect your ductwork for problems such as loose connections or broken seals.
At Davis Air Conditioning and Heating, our technicians:
- Visually inspect the inside of the ductwork using a video camera, hand-held mirror or periscope.
- Seal the ductwork system appropriately and use a high-pressure vacuum to create high negative pressure in the ducts. Loose dirt and debris is extracted; then a mechanical brush or compressed air whip will be used to remove any other accumulations.
- Apply a biocide and sealant to kill mold and fungi inside the ductwork.
Since 1971, Davis Air Conditioning and Heating has provided high-quality HVAC sales, installation, maintenance and repair for customers in Houston and other communities in the region. Contact us today for more information on how to clean A/C ducts and on the benefits of regular duct cleaning.