What Causes Air Conditioners to Leak Water
In the course of its normal operation, an air conditioner removes moisture from the air as it removes heat from your home. This is why leaks can be a common issue with air conditioners, and why checking for leaks is part of a standard maintenance routine. However, a constant presence of water pooling around or under an air conditioning unit is a red flag.
What causes air conditioners to leak water?
- Improper installation: The rear drain allows water to filter out of the unit. This is why it is important to install at a slight inclination, with the front of the unit situated higher than the rear of the unit. The incline doesn’t need to be dramatic; having the rear just 1 inch lower than the front will be sufficient.
- Drain blockage: Any blockage of the drain hole will prevent water from flowing freely out of the A/C unit.
- Broken pumps: Pump problems will be hard to spot without the trained eye of a professional. Dismantling the air conditioner on your own is not advised because you could cause damage to the unit (or yourself).
- Air leaks: Make sure the unit is properly sealed. Any leakage will cause condensation.
- Outside temperature: Running the air conditioner when it is cooler outside can cause water to pool because it won’t evaporate as quickly. This may be especially common at night. To minimize this problem, try turning off the unit when it is cooler outside or just use the fan function to circulate air.
For more information on what causes air conditioners to leak, or advice on other aspects of improving the comfort of your home, contact your local experts at Davis Air Conditioning & Heating.
You May Also Like
Fall is here and temperatures are dropping in Sugarland, TX. Colder outside temperature means more cuddle time with your furry friends, but… Continue Reading Tips for Pet Owners to Maintain High IAQ in Sugarland, TX…
Heat pumps are arguably some of the most valuable inventions in the HVAC industry. These appliances have gained popularity due to their… Continue Reading 4 Benefits of Heat Pumps in Clute, TX…
Everyone wants to get the most out of their HVAC system. When considering the factors that affect HVAC system efficiency, most think… Continue Reading How Your HVAC Filters Affect Your System’s Efficiency in Houston, TX…