How to Improve Air Quality
As part of a comprehensive national effort to reduce energy consumption, improvements in building construction practices have yielded significant results. In fact, a report by the Energy Information Administration found that newer homes are 30 percent larger but consume 2 percent less energy when compared to homes built before the year 2000. While buildings with sealed ductwork and tight perimeters have lower power requirements, a lack of controlled ventilation allows undesirable contaminants to accumulate in the living area.
Creating an Indoor Health Hazard
The occupants of a modern home generate a considerable quantity of indoor pollutants over the course of a typical day. This includes dust, debris, pollen, dander, smoke and harmful chemicals. Mold and fungi thrive in the evaporator coil of improperly sized air conditioners. If left unaddressed, these contaminants remain trapped inside the home and are continually re-circulated through the ductwork.
Older homes can also suffer from poor indoor air quality (IAQ). Gaps, breeches and loose connections in the ductwork can cause negative pressure leakage. When the HVAC equipment is active, insulation, dirt and other particulate matter can be drawn into the system and deposited into the indoor environment.
The consequences of continual exposure to pollutants can be severe. Disorders that that are caused or aggravated by unhealthy indoor air include:
- Coughing and sore throat
- Watering eyes
- Malaise and fatigue
- Upper respiratory congestion
- Nose bleeds
- Difficulty breathing or wheezing
- Developing or worsening asthma
- Severe lung disease
In addition to complete heating and AC services, Davis Air Conditioning and Heating develops comprehensive strategies to meet every IAQ challenge. Our approach includes remediation for existing problem areas and implementing long term solutions to prevent any future recurrence.
- Filtration: Effective filtration is a foundational element in a complete IAQ plan. A filter’s efficiency is identified through its MERV rating, which is a comparative measurement of the particulate matter the filter is capable of capturing. We offer a variety of different filtration technologies including pleated, media, electronic and HEPA. Advanced filters can trap particles less than 1 micron in size.
- Ventilation: Modern buildings with tight perimeters often lack a pathway for natural air infiltration. Over time, this condition allows contaminants to build up inside the living area. An accurately calibrated mechanical ventilator will introduce a controlled amount of fresh air into the building according to ASHRAE standard 62.2. Energy Recovery Ventilators reclaim a portion of the energy from the exhausted air and help moderate the temperature of the incoming fresh air.
- Duct Cleaning: Our duct cleaning service is a proactive approach designed to remove a variety of impurities from inside the HVAC system. Our certified air quality technicians use a specially equipped industrial-grade vacuum to remove dirt, debris and accumulated grime from the interior of the ductwork. In addition to improving indoor air quality, regular duct cleaning can enhance equipment performance and lower monthly utility costs.
- UV Eradication: Fungi, mold and other undesirable organisms thrive in the air conditioner’s evaporator coil where moisture and nutrients are present. A UV lamp is an air purification device that will eradicate a wide variety of viruses, bacteria, germs and other biological agents. The ultraviolet spectrum is extremely effective at sterilizing the coil and the interior of the air handler.
Stay Healthy and Save Money
IAQ problems that remain unaddressed can aggravate respiratory ailments and degrade HVAC equipment efficiency. For customers in the greater Houston area, Davis Air Conditioning and Heating can help provide a healthy, safe and energy efficient indoor environment.
You May Also Like
What Makes Heat Pumps Short Cycle in Rosharon, TX?
Short cycling occurs when a heat pump shuts down mid-cycle and restarts again. The phenomenon causes the heat pump to fail at… Continue Reading What Makes Heat Pumps Short Cycle in Rosharon, TX?…
6 Mistakes You Don’t Have to Make With Your Spring, TX Thermostat
Maintaining pleasant conditions in your Spring, TX house is always important, and springtime is no exception. Some homeowners presume their unit is… Continue Reading 6 Mistakes You Don’t Have to Make With Your Spring, TX Thermostat…
4 Common Symptoms of an Inefficient Air Conditioner in Alvin, TX
In Alvin, TX, air conditioning is essential during hot and humid weather. However, if an air conditioner is inefficient, it may not… Continue Reading 4 Common Symptoms of an Inefficient Air Conditioner in Alvin, TX…